Leadership training - Lesson 1
WHY LEADERSHIP TRAINING?
To inform the class about the nature of the course, its objectives, and its methods so they can be motivated to learn.
- Every group of people bound together by a common purpose finds success in direct proportion to the effectiveness of its leadership.
- Jesus spent three years training the apostles and then sent the Holy Spirit to assist them in leading the newly established church.
- Paul gave careful instructions to Timothy and Titus on the appointment of church leaders. (See I Timothy 3 and Titus 1.)
- The apostasy, as Paul predicted, came from church leaders. Acts 20:28-30 Subject Sentence: In this training class, then, we will study and practice the important areas of church leadership, particularly those calling for an appearance before an audience.
- This Training Class Has Six Important Purposes
- To encourage men (youths or adults) to become more active in church leadership.
- To increase the their understanding of the nature and conduct of worship.
- To increase the their skill and knowledge in leading in the various phases of planning and leading public worship - particularly in leading prayer, waiting on the Lord’s table, making announcements, ushering, leading singing, making talks, doing personal work, teaching classes, and planning worship.
- To develop teachers, preachers, personal workers, deacons, and elders.
- To increase the their knowledge of certain basic Biblical doctrines and their skill in explaining them to others.
- To improve the fellowship among those taking the class.
- A Wide Variety of Methods Will Be Used to Achieve These Purposes
- Lectures and class discussion will present the necessary basic principles upon which effective leadership in church work must be founded.
- Each lesson will be outlined, as this one is, in the suggested form for you to use in planning your own lessons and talks - and by this means you can keep the materials in a permanent form as well as learn the form for outlining.
- Outside reading assignments in materials related to that being studied in the class will also be employed.
- Reports by class members will add to the lectures and discussion.
- Every class member will appear many times before the class to gain actual experience and practice in the various types of leadership activities.
- Audio-visual materials will be used to assist learning.
- The church today needs leadership to accomplish what God wants us to do.
- Now I will distribute to each a sheet on which you will give the areas of leadership in which you now will participate and those which you wish to learn more about.
- In order to help all of us become better acquainted and to give an opportunity to appear before the class, each student will now come before the class to introduce himself by giving his name, address, occupation, family status, and the special areas of this course which interest him. Look at the evaluation sheet the teacher will be using to provide feedback on how well you did. Knowing in advance what items will be checked will help you to do it better. You will be asked to give the teacher the evaluation sheet before you get up to speak.
- This class should help each of us serve more effectively as leaders in the Lord’s church.
- The assignment for next time is for you to read silently the following passages of scripture: I Peter 2:15; Hebrews 13:15; Isaiah 1:11-17; Matthew 15:9; I Corinthians 14; John 4:23-24. Select three of these and practice reading them out loud at least five times each.
Please complete and hand in to the teacher when asked to do so near the end of Lesson 1.
Name _______Phone_____ Address______________ Business Address________ Phone_____
At the present I will:
lead prayer lead singing read Scripture make short talk plan devotional make announcements wait on table
preside at table teach class conduct home Bible study
I would like to work on:
lead prayer lead singing read Scripture make short talk plan devotional make announcements wait on table preside at table teach class conduct home Bible study
Comment on what you would like most to get from this class or particular problems you have encountered in attempting to appear before the public.
Look this over, fill in your name, and give this to sheet to the teacher when asked to do so.
Did the student walk to the front of the audience with a confident bearing?
[ ] No [ ] Yes
Did the student pause for a moment before starting to speak? [ ] No [ ] Yes
Did the student look at the audience while speaking? [ ] All the time [ ] Part of the time [ ] None
Did the student stand comfortably erect while speaking?
[ ] All the time [ ] Part of the time [ ] Almost none of the time
Did the student exhibit any nervous mannerisms? [ ] No [ ] Yes
Back to Leadership Training
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.