Acts - Lesson 5
Lying, Healing, and Growing Persecution
- The student can explain the temptation to lie which Ananias and Sapphira faced and how we face similar temptations.
- The student can explain the role of miracles in the early church.
- The student can trace the increase in persecution of the church in Jerusalem.
- Have copies of Notes/Review sheets ready to hand out.
- Have copies of Written Review No. 4 ready to hand out as students enter the room.
- Bibles and pens for all.
God's power is at work in the early church by punishing a case of lying, by the miracles done, and by protecting the apostles from persecution.
Lesson Plan for Conducting the Class
Introduction: (about 10 minutes)
- Check roll, introduce visitors, make announcements.
- Review the last lesson by giving answers to the Written Review.
- Prayer and songs as desired: Purer in Heart, O God; Take My Life, I Have Decided to Follow Jesus.
Learning Experiences: (about 25 minutes)
- Ananias and Sapphira.
- Read Acts 5:1-11.
- Q: Why do you think Ananias and Sapphira conspired together to tell this lie?
- Q: In what situations are we most tempted to lie and what makes these situations a temptation for us?
- Q: What can we do that will help us most to tell the truth?
- Read Acts 5:12-16.
- Q: Where did the believers have many of their meetings?
- Q: What was the effect of the apostles' miracles?
- Read Acts 5:17-21, 25-32,
- Q: What reason is given for this persecution?
- Q: Of what do the members of the Sanhedrin accuse the apostles? (v. 28)
- Q: How would you characterize the nature of Peters' response? (bold, assured, courageous)
- Q: What part does Peter say the Holy Spirit has had in this work? (v. 32) Q: How was the Spirit serving as a witness? (Told them what to say and empowered them to work miracles. Revelation and confirmation.While the Holy Spirit empowered some to do these special things, all Christians had the indwelling promised in Acts 2:38. More on this in Supplemental Lesson 9.)
- Q: What was Gamalial's advice?
- Q: What did the Sanhedrin do with Peter and John and what was their response?
- Q: To what level has the conflict the Jewish leaders and the church reached? Q: What is causing the Jewish leaders to pursue this conflict?
Application: (about 5 minutes)
- Q: What practical lessons can we learn from Acts 5? (tell the truth, be courageous, share the gospel message even if there is some risk involved).
- Use the Notes/Review sheet to prepare for the next written review.
Back to Acts
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.